W. M. Jordan Company has seen amazing results implementing Lean construction on our jobsites and in our offices making it a critical part of our company culture. We continue our commitment to the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence by implementing Lean Initiatives and are excited to announce the launch of our new Lean Department!
Lauren Simone will transition from her current role as Project Manager and Lean QC Manager to lead this new department as the Corporate Manager of Lean Construction Services. Establishing a dedicated Lean Department gives W. M. Jordan the ability to execute, manage, analyze, and improve the impact Lean construction has on all WMJ projects while also allowing room for growth and improvement within our industry. The Lean Department will also promote a culture of continuous improvement throughout our entire organization by applying Lean techniques and strategies across all aspects of the company. Lauren will work with other WMJ Lean Champions to expand our company-wide Lean training for project teams. In her new role Lauren will work with each of our offices throughout Virginia and the Carolinas to achieve Lean success!
We asked Lauren about some of the top benefits of using Lean construction and why more and more WMJ jobs going forward will use Lean planning, check out her responses below!
- Increased Efficiency: Lean emphasizes the optimization of processes to make them as streamlined and efficient as possible. This involves reducing unnecessary steps, eliminating bottlenecks, and simplifying operations. In doing so, construction projects can be completed faster and with fewer resources, leading to significant schedule and cost savings.
- Improved Quality: Lean construction promotes a culture of quality, emphasizing the importance of identifying and eliminating defects early in the process. This ensures a higher quality product. One of the main ways this is achieved is through continuous improvement. Using this process to target and eliminate waste allows WMJ to focus our efforts on reducing defects, delays, and inconsistencies resulting in improved quality. Using Lean allows W. M. Jordan to meet our customers’ needs in the most efficient and effective way possible. By focusing on customer value, we improve overall quality and reduce defects or errors that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.
- Enhanced Collaboration: Lean construction allows for improved communication and collaboration between all project stakeholders. This leads to more successful project outcomes and increased client satisfaction. Lean methodology empowers employees to identify inefficiencies and implement solutions to fix these problems. Employee involvement leads to better engagement, increased ownership, and better ideas. These are great ways to drive efficiency improvements.
- Increased Safety: Lean construction emphasizes safety as a top priority. By eliminating waste and streamlining processes there are fewer opportunities for accidents and injuries. This leads to a safer worksite and fewer delays due to safety concerns. By identifying and implementing small improvements on a regular basis the overall productivity and safety of the construction site can be improved.
- Improved Standardization: Lean emphasizes standardization of processes. Doing this makes it easier to identify and eliminate waste. Standardization also reduces variability and increases predictability. Standardization efforts are not a one-time event, as employing lean methodologies requires adaptation as new challenges arise. Regular reviews of the standardized process can help identify areas for improvement and keep the organization agile.
Overall, Lean construction offers many benefits to a jobsite including increased efficiency, improved quality, enhanced collaboration, increased safety, and improved standardization. Lean construction is based on the holistic pursuit of continuous improvements aimed at minimizing costs and maximizing value on a construction project. By adopting Lean principles, construction companies can improve their bottom line while also delivering a higher-quality product to their customers.
If you would like to learn more about W. M. Jordan’s Lean services, contact Lauren Simone at [email protected].